Become a Buddy or Activity Volunteer
We want to recruit and train a small number of adults who can provide 1 to 1 support to our tenants. We expect a buddy to meet with a tenant regularly; to go to the coffee shop, take part in an exercise class or help the tenant volunteer. A buddy will be trained to provide appropriate support and will meet tenants in a public place.
Description of the role:
The role of a volunteer buddy is to:
- Provide one to one or small group support to young people to promote their independence and integration into the community
- Build safe and trusting relationships with young people to increase their support network and reduce loneliness
- Be a positive role model to motivate, inspire and raise young people's aspirations
- Encourage participation in a range of positive or volunteering activities to increase independence and confidence in self
- To provide written feedback after sessions to ensure open and transparent communication with staff and other support workers
- To share ideas and feedback to the team to ensure that opportunities for activities are relevant and meet the needs of the individual
- To attend relevant training for the role
- To carry out the work in a non-judgemental way
- Be open and honest about own challenges whilst buddying and be able to reflect and feedback about the scheme
Skills and qualities needed for the role:- Good communication and interpersonal skills when working with others
- Self-motivated, reliable and organised
- Active listening skills
- Ability to relate to young people and establish rapport
- Relevant knowledge and experience to be able to provide the right level of support – e.g. youth work, teaching, mentoring
- Good level of written communication skills and ideally experience with writing supporting statements, CVs and applications
- Ability to use questions and constructive feedback to enhance service development
- Patient with a positive attitude
- Empathetic and understanding of the issues young people face
- Supportive and encouraging
- Able to inspire, empower and motivate young people
- Able to help young people develop to reach their potential
- Willing to take on a challenge and make the project a success
What is in it for me?
- Gain experience and transferable skills with working with young people, those with mental health challenges or those facing isolation
- Receive training and support to develop skills and awareness of young people, safeguarding and homelessness
For more information or an application for please contact us.
This role will require a DBS check as you will be working with young people and vulnerable adults. We will only select volunteers who are able to provide the qualities above, and have a positive and non-judgemental attitude. Full training and support will be given.